Did you think that a camera two thirds the size of a Samsung Galaxy Pocket cellphone, (about 5×7 cm) would be basic and not very good? You would be wrong, as the GoPro Hero4 Black 4K Action Camera is proving.
The Hero4 Black is the next generation version of the Hero3 with improved features for anyone, not just the pros, who want the best video action camcorder in the smallest package, with the features of a much larger cam.
This cute little camcorder can easily fit onto the top of one’s helmet or around the wrist using an assortment of mountings. It is waterproof down to 131’ so those coral reefs can be captured without the heavy and awkward video cams one generally lugs along. No need to download your videos to clip and trim, they can be done on the camera.
A very cool feature is the ‘Highlight Tag’ button in front. Instead of scrolling through hours of footage looking for that ‘moment’ that you remember; as the moment happens during the recording, press the button and your unforgettable memory is tagged. You can then easily pick it up with the desktop software, using the same button, to access the menu. It’s like having a built-in bookmark.
The Hero4 can capture 1080p at 120fps making for very smooth movies. With the iOS, Android and Windows phone app, you can control the settings and play-back using the WiFi direct and far easier than changing the settings on the camera.
– Cinema-quality videos with advanced user-friendly manual control.
– Night time shooting has customizable exposure settings.
– The GoPro app has built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
– Buckles on the mount can be secured against accidental release by using a locking plug.
– Built in micro HDMI and mini USB ports with a micro SD slot for up to 64GB.
– Compatibility with earlier version’s accessories.
– A toggle button on the side allows easy Wi-Fi on and off control.
– Improved setting control for low-light shooting.
– A new battery compartment design with redesigned battery. Batteries from earlier versions are no longer compatible so new ones will have to be purchased.
– One doesn’t have the option for image stabilization.
– A separate LCD Touch screen accessory has to be purchased as it doesn’t have a built-in touch screen as in earlier GoPro’s.
– A detachable cover at the back to reach the slots can be easily misplaced or lost.
– Heating factor may be a concern.
Overall, the GoPro HERO4 BLACK 4K Action Camera is the best-of-its-kind in the world, pipping most other brands to the finish line, for overall features and quality and users are thrilled with it. It is tiny – slip it into your top pocket – and can shoot as easily underwater as skydiving, with its panoramic wide-angle lens and cinematic-quality pictures.